2019: The Year of Training Mindfully
I had the opportunity to guest blog for VeloPro this week and talk about mindful training:
“For cyclists, this is the time of year to reflect upon the accomplishments of the past year and craft a training plan for the upcoming year. In my experience as an athlete, and in working with athletes as a coach and therapist, athletes that thrive both on and off the bike infuse their training plans with a hefty dose of mindfulness.
So……What is “mindful training?”
The first part of mindful training involves a commitment to peeling back the layers to understand the “why” in “why I train.”
Why do we train? To get faster. To go farther.
Why do we want to get faster, go further? Because we want to win/cat up/PR that climb/complete a century.
Why do we want to win?
The process doesn’t stop there. It also involves grappling with some difficult questions:
- Whose voice is it in my ear telling me to win-train-succeed?
- How do I feel about myself when I succeed?
- How do I feel when I don’t meet my goals?
- What happens in my life when I can’t train?
- How does my training enrich my life? How does it create challenges in my life?
- What is my relationship with my body? With aging, illness, and injury? With the food I eat? With the people I ride with?”
For the rest of this article, head on over to VeloPro……